Monday, September 22, 2008

And then there was no light!

We had a little bit of excitement last night when the power went out on our whole street (and maybe farther, I haven't heard). Kiara was in bed but wasn't asleep yet and got a little nervous when her nightlights and music went off so we got her up and let her sit with us. Luckily I had just bought a 32 pack of votive candles from Ikea last week and amazingly could find them in the dark. Kiara thought they were pretty cool and sat like this for awhile.
Some phrases we heard over and over last night:
"Ooh cannles"
"Oh hot"
"I wanna smell 'em"
"Scoot back" (said by her, we never told her that)
"Sing happy birthday"
And so we sang...and sang...and sang some more
Finally we decided to make a campout out of it and try to go to sleep. We brought our air mattress out to the living room and had a great time. We also discovered the night setting on our camera and apparently it works very well!
It was kind of fun to have a couple of hours without the TV, computer, radio, etc. and just play together as a family. When the lights did come back on at 11:30 though I have to say I was pretty relieved. My main concern was all the food that would go bad in the fridge & freezer and how Ben would get his car out of the garage for work this morning but luckily it didn't go that far.

6 comments:

Janie said...

Our power didn't go out this time, but we had a similar episode a few weeks ago. I can sleep in the dark but not without my fan on!

Did the candles smell good? I should have bought some when we were there. Lets go when the Christmas stuff is there!

Asay Family said...

So, tell me the dates that you are going to be here because I would love to see you.
And by the way, you read mt blog to fast and I have tagged you. :)

Asay Family said...

Saturday the 11?

Asay Family said...

I think that will wrok really good for me. I will check the calendar tonight and let you know for sure.
And are you bringing Kiara as well? If your not bringing her then I am not bring Tre'. :) No pressure.

Laura said...

You make everything fun!

The Poulsen Five said...

What an adventure! We miss you guys! Don't forget about us melting in AZ.