Sunday, August 7, 2011

Flying solo

It has been so long since I posted I almost forgot my blog address! This summer has been ridiculously crazy but it's all been fun stuff so I want to make sure to document it all.

Back in March Ben went on a business trip and got bumped from his flight out there so they gave him a $400 voucher. I've really been wanting to go see my friends back in California so since the voucher wasn't enough to pay for more than one person to go anywhere, Ben was awesome (as usual) and agreed that I should go to Sacramento alone.

Our good friends had their son's adoption finalized in June so I went the weekend of his temple sealing and church blessing. It was the first time I had been to a child-to-parent sealing as a guest and while nothing compares to being there with your own kids, it was so cool to be an observer and really focus on the importance of the event.
Kind of ridiculous that this is the only picture I got with Kate and baby Adam!
It was so strange being without my kids and Ben for 4 days, especially in the place where we lived for the past 3+ years. In a way it felt like I had just been on vacation for a long time and was finally home again (never thought I'd feel so at home in CA but I really fell in love) but then I'd realize my family was gone and it would remind me that my time there was only temporary.

One fun part of being there alone though was all of the girl time! My first day there I met up for lunch with some of my awesome adoption friends. We used to get together for playgroup once a month and I've really missed seeing them on a regular basis.
I also did lunch with one of my favorite people, Trina. Spending an hour with her was good for my soul but it just left me wanting more! Trina come visit me...like ASAP!
While I was in CA I was lucky enough to stay with another one of my favorite people, the beautiful and hilarious Janie. Everybody needs a Janie in their life. Someone who will make dinner for you, get pedicures with you, listen to your endless whining and then, with no reservations, tell you exactly what's on her mind and exactly what you need to hear. We stayed up way too late laughing and crying and venting every night, each night vowing we wouldn't do it again and then staying up even later than the night before. It was fabulous.
It was also great having Janie's kids there to keep me entertained and help me when I was missing my kids. Kiara was so jealous I got to play with Ayson!
My last night in CA was spent with my favorite German, Eva, the much smarter and funnier than me, Katie, pretty little Janie, and the person I want to be like when I grow up, Holli (she escaped before we took the picture). It was a seriously amazing night that I was sad to see come to an end. I am so lucky to have made such incredible friends during our time in CA and each one of these ladies has made me want to be better in one way or another.
Ben has another business trip next week and I'm {not so} secretly hoping he gets bumped from his flight again so I can have another excuse to go play!

4 comments:

John said...

I hope he gets bumped too. We're a few months behind in lunch dates now, and we had such a good thing going. :)

John said...

Um, awkward...This is Yannette. Obviously forgetting I'm signed in on my husband's laptop.

Anonymous said...

Eva: It was great seeing you too. Can't wait for next time.

Janie said...

you are too kind.

and i miss you.