Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Where do I begin on my dad's post? I have so much to say about this man it's hard to know where to start.

I guess to understand our relationship you have to know that I am the only girl and the youngest in my family. I have heard many times in my life that that must make me the spoiled one, and although in general I disagree with that (Tommy was always the spoiled one, not me!) it probably is true in regards to my dad.

I always felt so secure and safe with him and was always excited to spend any time with him. When Ben & I have talked about parenting styles and looked at what our parents did right, I have always said that my parents were masters at making their kids feel loved. No matter what else happened in life or how much it felt like my world was caving in, I knew my parents loved me and I always had that foundation on which to fall. I realize now I was, and am, extremely blessed to have that knowledge. I believe it has a large effect on the person I am today.

Of course I have a lot of memories of my dad but one of my favorites is when I would go with him up to the local amusement park, Lagoon, for our stake day every year. After he got off work just the two of us would drive up because he was always in charge of the raffle during dinner. I got to be his assistant and help turn the big ticket machine and hand the prizes to the winner. After the raffle was over we would take the coupons we had for free sno-cones and go on all of the rides for which he had free passes. I couldn't have been happier if we had spent a whole week there because my dad made those few hours really count. I treasure the feeling I had on those days and the way my dad made me feel.

My dad is an incredibly gifted artist and many people only see him as that but I know there is more; a more sensitive, loving and emotional man that many don't get the honor to know. I know that man and it brings me great joy to know that now my daughter is getting to know that man as well. Kiara loves her Papa so much and he is so good with her, and all the grandkids.

My dad has spent countless hours on projects designed for his grandkids and never disappoints. From creating super hero costumes for the boys to building a puppet studio for the girls, he is totally dedicated to his role as Grandpa and sacrifices a lot for all of his family.

My dad has always been such a hard worker, doing whatever it took to provide for a family of 7. He has worked through the night too many times to count and given up a lot of the things he would have enjoyed doing to give his kids new opportunities. He has beat the odds and overcome hardship in ways many people can't imagine and although he likes to cut himself short, he has accomplished more than anyone else in a similar situation could ever do.

He is very dedicated to making his life count and becoming a better person and I admire him so much for this. He is a far better man than he'll ever admit and I am so grateful to have him for my father. Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you and am so proud of you. See you in a week!

2 comments:

Heather Ashby said...

November is such a crazy birthday month. That was a great tribute to your dad.

Laura said...

What a beautiful post.