Saturday, August 29, 2009

LDS Family Night

Growing up in Utah, July 24 (Pioneer Day) was always a huge holiday and I've missed celebrating it since moving out of state. When the 2009 schedule came out last year Ben noticed there was a game on the 24th and he got thinking it would be cool to do an LDS night. Well for about 10 months he planned, advertized and eventually pulled off one of the biggest group nights in the team's history, not to mention a very cool night for people of the Mormon faith.

My dad made the flyers for the event and had helped Ben plan some of the promotions so when they started planning a trip out here for Kiara's birthday they decided to come early enough for LDS Family Night too. Since we can't have my parents visit without putting them to work, Ben enlisted my dad's services once again to make this banner. It looked awesome and several people asked Ben where he had it made because it looked so professional. Technically my dad is a professional but it was actually just made on our kitchen table with some Crayola poster paints. My dad is kind of like the MacGyver of the art world!

Ben anticipated good attendance and had a lot of pre-sales but when my parents and Kiara and I showed up at 5:55, over an hour before the game started, we were shocked at the line of people waiting to get in. I've personally never seen a crowd like this at this ballpark except for July 4th. They actually ended up selling out of seats, not a common occurrence in minor league baseball.
Once you got in the park the missionaries had a table set up with a video playing about the church and information to hand out. All of the missionaries from our city were given permission to attend and they walked around talking to interested people. One missionary made over 200 contacts that night!

A group of missionaries even sang the National Anthem and the mission president threw out the first pitch.

Most of the on-field entertainment was done by missionaries, including a potato sack race and a green jello eating contest.

The night was topped off with awesome fireworks and everyone seemed to have a great time. It was definitely the most fun I've ever had at a minor league game and I left feeling so proud of my husband and his courage to make this night come to pass (get it?). I was also extremely proud and grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The night was such a success that Ben's boss wants to do it again next year. I can't wait!

7 comments:

Laura said...

That is so awesome. And I have to say your Dad is a pretty handy person to know. The poster looks awesome as I'm sure the flyers did. I'll have to send my parents the link to this post and maybe they could get something like this going in PA. My dad better warm up his arm.

Allison said...

It looks like it turned out great. Way to go Ben, those were some great ideas.

Allison said...

It looks like it turned out great. Way to go Ben, those were some great ideas.

The Brigham family said...

It was so much fun and such a great idea!!

ShaunaJorgenson said...

WOW! I am so impressed! That is really really neat. Good for Ben for putting that on. It looks like it was a lot of fun. I totally would have gone if I lived there!

Tiffany said...

That sounds like a great night. Nice work Ben!

Janie said...

wow, I didn't realize how missionary-minded it was going to be. Thats awesome. Way to go Carrs.