Monday, January 19, 2009

Thank you, Dr. King

As part of our Family Home Evening lesson tonight we told Kiara a little bit about Martin Luther King day. I'm ashamed to say I know little about him or his life, other than the basics. I know he was from Georgia, that he was a minister, that he won a Nobel Peace Prize and was the youngest person ever to do so, and obviously, that he gave his life for the cause of equality and fair treatment of all human beings.
I also know that although he was killed 15 years before I was even born, he had an unspeakable impact on my life. Because of his efforts and many other heroes who followed his example, Ben & I are able to raise a child of African-American heritage and do so within the bounds of the law. And generally speaking, we are free from discrimination or hatred.
This is a priceless gift and I am grateful that we have a day to honor such a courageous and inspired man. I believe he truly was a messenger of God, preaching peaceful change and advocating love and acceptance for all, regardless of their skin color. Because of Martin Luther King, Jr. I get to wake up to this face each day:
And I can proudly say that she is my daughter and I am her mother. I don't take for granted that as recently as 40 or so years ago and without the innumerable sacrifices of so many, our family wouldn't exist as it now does, or at least as peacefully as it does today.
I also think it's pretty amazing that tomorrow our nation's leader will be a man with the same ethnicity as our daughter. Although I don't agree with his politics, I appreciate the statement that having (soon-to-be) President Obama in the White House will make about equality among races and I pray he will have some of the same humility and perspective that Dr. King had during his life.

6 comments:

Heather Ashby said...

Whitney was asking questions about who MLK was and why she has the day off of school. As I was explaining to her I kind of hesitated, because in her mind there is no difference between her and someone who has different skin color. Is it right to put that thought into her mind that there could be a difference? Does that make sense? I did talk to her about it, but it is still in the back of my mind. We did talk a lot about Kiara and how much we love her and how grateful we are that we live in a time that she could be part of our family.

Katie said...

I think it's okay to talk about it before she fully realizes there's a difference, as long as you stress (and I know you did) that the differences are good and make us all unique, but no one color or person is better or worse than another.

We want Kiara to be proud of her biological heritage while at the same time not making it her whole identity. We refuse to let her become "that black adopted girl," not because it's a secret or we're ashamed of it, but because she's so much more than those 2 things. Thanks for talking to Whit about it, and she's right, I would have loved to go read with her! Sorry I missed it!

Allison said...

Kiara is lucky to have you as a mom Katie. She will know what a special girl she is and that is all that will matter!

Laura said...

That is a great post. I would like to ditto what Allison said. Kiara is a very lucky girl and we are even more lucky to have her in our family. We love her to pieces.

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Wow, you're such a good mom to teach your little girl such important concepts. We are so blessed to have amazing people that change the world for the better. Kiara is so cute. And that singing video is precious!

Unknown said...

Katie, what beautiful words and insight. Sorry I haven't been a very good blogging friend for the past few months...I was on a blogging break, much needed. I have missed hearing about your life and am anxious to keep it as a part of my regular routine. Kiara is beautiful and I too am so thankful for Martin Luther King Jr. and for all that he has done.