Sunday, October 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Stockton!

I'm stealing an idea I saw on my friend's blog to do a post for people in my family on their birthday. I especially love this since I'm not there to celebrate in person like I used to and since I love birthdays and making a big deal out of them. This will probably be boring for everyone but the birthday person, so feel free to close the page! Anyway, I figured it would be appropriate to start with the oldest grandchild in my family, Stockton, who turns 10 today!
I was so excited to be an aunt and hassled Critter & Kalli about it all the time (now that I'm older I realize that might have been a tad inappropriate--sorry guys)! The day Stock was born was so exciting! I remember my mom picking me up from school and taking me to the hospital. He wasn't born until about 6 hours after we got there and I was in the delivery room to see his birth. What a thing for a 15 year old to see! I think that was the day I decided I wanted to adopt my children :) Anyway, it was unbelievable and I loved that little boy instantly. I know I am going to regret doing this, especially if one of my brothers happens to read this post, but I have included my journal entry from the day Stockton was born. Please be gentle in reading this and remember that all teenage girls are like this!
Some of my fondest memories from my teenage years include Stock, especially when Critter, Kalli, Stockton & newborn McKay lived with us for a few months while their home was being built. I couldn't wait to get home from school every day and see this cute little face and watch The Jungle Book with my favorite little guy.
Fast forward several years and Ben & I were lucky enough to be Stock's cub scout leaders when we lived in their ward. I loved being able to see him in that environment and watch how sweet and kind he was to the other boys. Stockton is a very smart kid and has a hilarious imagination. He's also very creative and artistic and I love seeing the things he comes up with.
Probably my favorite quality about Stocky is his sensitive, caring nature. He is the best big brother to his 5 younger siblings and is such a good example to them. I love watching him with his only sister, Emma. It reminds me so much of how my oldest brother always protected me and made me feel safe. Just last week when we were there Ben took the boys for a little hike and afterwards commented on how patient Stock is with his brothers, especially the 2 year old, and how well he looks out for them.
Stockton I love you so much and am so proud to be your aunt! Have a great birthday, buddy! You are awesome!

2 comments:

Kristin Burke Sevinc said...

I love it-
Dear Journal.....
Did Journal ever write back? :o)
I can't believe that Stockton is 10 already. Time goes so quickly. wait until he starts dating in 6 short years, that will freak you out!

Laura said...

So cute. I love that you have a journal entry for that day and put it on here. You are the best aunt.