Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Different

One of my oldest and closest friends is due with her first baby next month. Her baby shower was held a couple of weeks ago and while I was there I felt her stomach as her little girl moved around inside of her. It was an incredible moment and while I was marveling at the craziness of it, I realized it was the first time I have ever felt a child move in utero. I have 15 nieces and nephews, two of whom I watched enter this world, and two children of my own and yet I never felt any of them move before they were born. It was a weird realization and one I've thought a lot about since I first had it.

Then last week I got together with this same friend and two others, who together make up my own brand of sisters.  Once little E joins the club next month, we will all officially be mothers. 

During the course of our evening together we started imparting our ever-abundant wisdom on our pregnant friend and telling all sorts of stories about babies, marriage, formula and so on. Then, as it almost always does, the conversation turned to birthing a baby. And then to nursing. And then to birth control. This is typically my cue to go check on the kids or make a phone call or do anything else that allows me to leave the room and skip over this part of the conversation so as to avoid the inevitable pit in my stomach that follows. And I must admit that over the course of the last 7 years I've gotten pretty good at tactfully escaping. Because the truth is, these are aspects of motherhood to which I just can't relate and sometimes it's too painful to be reminded that I'm different. 

But this time I stayed and listened because these are my girls and if I can't be vulnerable in front of them then I can't be vulnerable in front of anyone. But to be totally honest, it hurt just a little bit more than I realized at the time because here we are 5 days later and it's 1:30 in the morning and my mind just keeps re-playing the conversation. 

And then my thoughts go here:

Nobody asked me if I wanted my babies to sleep in my room or the nursery the first night they were born. In fact, I could only see them when I was given permission and a stupid little wristband. Oh how I resent those wristbands!

No specialist came in and talked to me about feeding my babies or told me how often they needed to eat. In fact, I could only feed them when I was given permission and the nurses weren't allowed to tell me how long it had been since the last feeding. That was private information only the "mother" could know. 

I didn't have an epidural for my pain. In fact, my pain was invisible and often dismissed or down-played. 

I never traded in my regular clothes for those that said "maternity" (although I am definitely big enough to and I'm sure they'd be more comfortable than my current wardrobe!), nor did I reach a point where I couldn't tie my shoes or shave my legs. 

I didn't see either of my babies take their first breath or hear their first cry. This is the one that hurts the most. I didn't see their first bath nor do I have pictures of Ben cutting their umbilical cord, because he didn't. In fact, I don't even know who did. I guess the doctor must have but I don't know for sure. 

I will always need to distinguish my role as mother from two other women's role as a different kind of mother. Some people scoff when I correct them for saying "Boston's mom" or "Kiara's mom" when referring to their birthmothers, but it's a crucial distinction. 

I love adoption and I love my kids' birthmoms with a fierceness that can't be put in to words. I will defend them till the day I die and I will always be their #1 fan. 

I adore my children. They are my whole world and are so perfect for me and for our family. I recognized them the moment I saw them and I know it was always the plan for the four of us to be a family. Nobody knows more than I do how blessed I am just to be a mom and how lucky we are to have had two {almost} perfect adoptions.

If given the opportunity to change things and have our kids come to us biologically, I never would. I experienced things I never would have had I given birth and those memories and lessons are worth more to me than all the ice chips in the world (and I love ice chips!). My kids came to us how and when they were supposed to and through the women they were supposed to come. For whatever reason, this was the plan for my two little miracles and I'm grateful every day for it. 

And while I know it has NOTHING to do with my kids, it's all me, every once in a while it still hurts to be different. Why is that?



11 comments:

Elmer said...

I definitely understand about feeling different and wanting to escape during certain conversations. I just have to remind myself that Heavenly Father knows me better than myself, has a plan for me too, and doesn't give me anything I can't handle. But sometimes I'd just like to understand and experience what everyone else is talking about too! Keep your chin up! You're an awesome mom and example. And thanks for making me cry at work. ;)

Tanya said...

Thank you, Katie! While I can't even pretend to know how you feel, I know that while reading your post, I was overcome with emotion and love for you! Thank you for sharing something so personal, giving me just a glimpse of how you feel, and inspiring me to move forward with an increased amount of sensitivity to others. While carrying a child in your womb, giving birth, and TRYING to breast feed were wonderful experiences... NOTHING will ever compare to the day to day joys of rearing a child, being sealed as a family and knowing that they are ours forever. Pregnancy is only a vehicle to get them here, the important stuff is up to mothers like you! You have a beautiful, inspiring spirit and I am so thankful to know you!

Mayor of CrazyTown said...

'Why'- the great question of life...
Totally miss you guys.

Vanessa said...

You have such a talent and ability to put your thoughts so beautifully into words. I wish I had answers for you...but know that even mother's who did give 'birth' still go through the same kinds of questions. Some had to have c-sections and so they don't feel they really 'gave birth'. Some were never able to breast feed for one reason or another and so they feel like they've failed at giving their babies the best nutritional start possible and have failed. None of these things really matter however. These children have arrived and the most important part of parenting has just started!!! You are a wonderful mother and your children are blessed to have you and Ben. I love you! (And I hope we can see you in March! :P )

Unknown said...

I love you and you have every right to feel hurt. If you didn't I would be worried. I love you. Thank you for sharing your heart. Loves.

Audrey Nielson said...

I love you Katie! I always think about you and this important task you have been given in this life. These two kids are so lucky to have you and Ben and to have been given the opportunity of being part of an eternal family. You are an amazing mother and I hope I will be able to follow the great examples of my best friends when my baby comes!

None said...

Katie,

Although not there yet, I think about the exact same things that you have mentioned. There are many experiences that I may never have and I think that is 100% okay to feel that way. One of my dearest friends has adopted four beautiful children and one of the things that she did sort of warn me about is that the longing that is felt for those experiences never truly goes away. It probably has something to do with the fact that as children of God, we hope and expect our bodies to be perfect sometimes and it is not always that way. But, having seen you with your children, I know what an amazing parent you are and how wonderful they bless your lives and the experiences that you have had have made you the woman that you are.

Elizabeth and Brian said...

Some wounds never heal or if they do the scar is always there.

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand there is no going back. There are some things that time can not mend. Some hurts that go too deep...that have taken hold. Do you ever really heal?"

Michelle said...

The lord only gives you what you can handle. Or so I have been told many times. Those beautiful children are right where they where meant to be and don't for one second think that you are missing something. All the pre parenting stuff is nothing compared to raising those beautiful souls.
We all love you here and miss you 4 very much.
Michelle

Wendy said...

This was beautifully written and I could relate to it 100%. Thank you!

Kristin said...

Just came here from the transracial e-mail roll and I loved this post. I usually don't think about how different I am as a mother until something like this happens and then sometimes I go through the emotions like you. Ironically, I just blogged about this not too long ago because twice in a short span of time someone said that a woman "goes into the valley of the shadow of death" and comes back with a child. For some reason, that hurt. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!