Yesterday was a bad day. Like really, really bad. Kiara's hair has always been a struggle, practially since the day she was born, so yesterday I finally broke down and took her in to a salon to have braids put in. We were both really excited about this new change and the amount of time/energy/pain we would save on a daily basis by having the braids. I washed her hair right before her appointment and brushed/combed it as thoroughly as possible. This is how it looked when we left the house:
And here it is 45 minutes later by the time we got to the salon:

It's still so amazing to me how fast it kinks up and dries out. The stylist couldn't believe how much hair she had and how thick it was. She didn't believe me when I told her I had just relaxed it a week ago and told me that I'll have to start using adult relaxer on it since it's basically adult hair on a 4-year-old head!
My poor baby really tried to be brave but it hurts her so badly to have her thick, dense hair combed that within 2 minutes of sitting in that chair she started sobbing. Once the hair was all combed she cornrowed it and Kiara got a couple minute reprieve from the pain and we got a break from the screaming!

I've never seen fingers move as fast as this lady's did while she did the cornrows! She was amazing and I think the crying just motivated her to move even faster :)
Once the cornrows were all done she put the synthetic braids in with a crochet hook. To do that she had to go under each part of the cornrow which (understandably) hurt my sweet princess so much but it was pretty interesting to watch. To give you an idea of how much hair Kiara has, the stylist said she usually uses around 5-7 packs of braids and Kiara needed 11! Crazy!

Finally, after 20 2 1/2 hours of crying, screaming and bribery, we were finished and I instantly got my happy girl back. I've never been so happy to see her smile!

Before she cut the braids:

At home after the braids were cut:
She picked that doll out for her prize after enduring such a crappy day. I think she deserves like 10 of those things! In the long run I know these braids will be better for her and for the health of her hair, especially with summer and endless swimming upon us. She's already so excited that I don't have to use the brush or lotion every day and keeps reminding me that we won't have to do that stuff anymore. The best part of these braids is that they should last 10 weeks, and what a glorious 10 weeks they'll be!













13 comments:
She looks gorgeous!! I'm sure you both are very grateful for those braids. Maybe I should take Alayna in and have that done too..lol! :P
Holy cow - the things you do to your poor girl. She looks sooo old!! Does she like how the long hair feels on her back? Have you considered extensions? :) Where was Boston during all this?
Her hair looks great!! I wish my daughters hair was long enough to do braids. In a few years it will be and I will braid it up, no way I will comb it out every day. I cried as a little girl getting my hair combed.
Pain is beauty..?..Poor baby. It looks awesome though!! What was your prize for enduring?
Kiara, you are so beautiful!
Janie-The braids ARE extensions you dork. And Boss was home with Grandma. Him being there terrorizing the salon would have been the only thing to make the experience more stressful!
Yannette-What else would my prize be? A Cherry Coke!
Wow, that poor girl. She looks so old with the braids. What a cutie. I think you both deserve a few prizes after that!
Love the extensions they used. Where did they get those? I would love to try those on cici at home. We are just in 2 strand twists right now that I put in after her frohawk.
I have always wondered. What do they do with the ends of her cornrowed hair once the extensions are in. I wouldn't think they just leave them hanging in case you want to pull her hair up into a pony
I love it! She looks adorable. Lizzie had her appointment today- totally worth the drive and every cent paid!!!
She looks so cute, I can't wait to see it in person. What a nightmare to get there though. You can see her eyes were swollen from crying. So sad.
Her hair is beautiful!!!! Wow, I did not know it takes all thathard work everyday to doher hair and that it is that painful.
What a good mom you are. Are you gonna keep this up and do it again once the 10 weeks are up?
I love it!!!!
Katie, I love them! I had no idea that is how they were done. Poor thing. She looks gorgeous though and you can tell how happy she is. Phew! haha.
Post a Comment